Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Turkey Pot Pie Sandwich

I hardly ever watch daytime TV anymore, but I was in the living room vacuuming and one of the kids had left the TV on.  Rachel Ray was cooking something up so I stopped to take a peek.  She was making Turkey Burgers and it just so happened I had ground turkey in my fridge waiting to be turned into Turkey Burgers that very night!

But she put a little twist on the whole thing, and it looked soo yummy I thought we would give it a try.  The original recipe can be found here.

As usual I modified it according to the ingredients in my pantry and the picky eaters in my family.

Open Faced Turkey Pot Pie Sandwiches

2 lbs Jennie O ground turkey
2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
Lawry's Seasoned Salt
Finely Chopped Parsley
Finely Minced Garlic
Ground Black Pepper

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 can chicken broth
1 can mixed vegetables, drained
Mix the first six ingredients together in a large bowl.   I didn't measure out my spices - I just eyeballed it.  I then separated the mixture into 8 patties.  (I cooked four and put four in the freezer for later)

Cook the patties in a large pan - mine took about 5 minutes on each side.   When the patties are done cooking, remove them from the pan and then add the butter to the same skillet.  Next add in the flour, whisk it together and cook it for about a minute.  (Just long enough to cook out the flour taste)  Next added in almost all of a small can of chicken broth and bring it to a boil.  Last, add in the canned veggies and cook until the veggies are heated through.

I'm sure this would be much tastier with fresh veggies or even frozen ones, but since I didn't have either, I had to go with the canned stuff.  We just used toasted hamburger buns instead of the English muffins.

This was a great recipe for our family because our picky kids were able to just take the parts they liked.  For instance Riley just had a plain turkey burger on a bun with some cheese and I didn't have to cook a separate meal for him.    And it only took about 20 minutes to get dinner on the table!



 

1 comments:

The Mylers said... Best Blogger Tips

Dang, that's awesome! I will have to try it sometime:)