Saturday, August 6, 2011

Slow Roasted St Louis Style Ribs

I like Ribs but I don't love them slathered in BBQ sauce like most people do.  I found this great recipe for a dry rub.  The great thing is, you can slow cook them in this rub and then finish them off on the grill.  Then if you are a sauce lover, you can slather it on and they still taste great.  And the best part......the meat just falls right off the bone!

Dry Rub for Ribs

1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup salt
1 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon garlic powder

Mix all the dry ingredients together.  Trim excess fat of the ribs.  My favorite to use lately has been St Louis Style.  Generously pat the rub onto the ribs.  I usually use half of the above rub on two racks of ribs and just save the rest in a Ziplock bag.

If I happen to plan ahead, (Hey it does happen once in a while!) I'll put the rub on the ribs the night before and just leave them overnight in the fridge.  Or you can do it first thing in the morning if you don't plan on eating until later in the day.  I like to use those disposable foil pans.  I cut the ribs into sections of about 3-4 bones each and usually place about one rack in each pan.  (I will admit however, that I have made these without any "marinating" time.  Just put the rub on, and popped in the oven.  They were still delicious!)

About three hours before our planned dinner time, I place them into a 250 degree oven and just leave them in there for about two and a half hours till nice and tender.

Then I hand them off to the hubby and he pops them onto a nice hot grill.  Half of them get slathered in BBQ sauce.  Around here, it's just something out of a bottle, but you could whip up your favorite award winning recipe if you like.  Half of them stay plain jane!  They don't have to stay on the grill long, just long enough to get a nice crust!

Get out some napkins and enjoy!

2 comments:

The Mylers said... Best Blogger Tips

Clair! Just did this and it is AWESOME. Ray even loved it! It smelled so good and I can't even describe how excited I was to give it to my family. Totally yummy!

Clair said... Best Blogger Tips

So glad you liked them!