Monday, October 19, 2009

Hours and Hours of Playdough Fun!

Ever since my two older ones have gone back to school, my little one has been a little bored at home by herself.  She is great company and I love to hang out with her but I also work from home, so its nice when she is entertained with something (other than TV!)

On Thursday while she was at preschool in the morning, I made her some homemade playdough.  It had been a while since I mixed up a batch so I had to dig through my recipe box.  The recipe is super easy and I made three batches in about 15 minutes.

1 cup flour
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons cream of tartar
1 pkg unsweetened kool-aid
1 cup water
1 tablespoon vegetable oil


In a medium size saucepan mix all the ingredients together and stir over medium heat.  Keep stirring for a few minutes until the mixture forms a dough.  (Your arm will get a little workout here!)  When the dough balls up and separates from the sides of the pan its done.  Turn it out onto a heat safe surface and when it is cool enough to handle knead until nice and soft.




I made three batches and then I ran out of cream of tartar :(.  Each batch makes slightly over a pound of playdough.  I used Orange, Grape and Cherry KoolAid.  Not only do you get the great color but the playdough smells great too!

We got out the cookie cutters and my little one literally played from lunch until dinner.  After dinner she and her older sister played until bedtime.   Hours and Hours of fun!





I love so many things about this playdough:
  • All the ingredients are already in my pantry.
  • It smells great!
  • It's softer than store bought playdough therefore easier to roll out, especially for little ones.
When playtime is over, simply store it in an airtight container!

0 comments: